Friday, January 16, 2015

The Vision Thing (Again)


I got new glasses this week.  At my age, an eye exam is a hold-your-breath experience.  Bad news from the optometrist could be the beginning of the end for someone who loves to drive fast.  So it's good news that "the eyes (still) have it:" correctable to 20/20 in both, eyes themselves and nerve connections to the brain still good.  As for reflexes, I lost a step or two years ago.

For the new glasses (slight adjustment for astigmatism), I went all-in: transition lenses with anti-glare coating.  Forty years ago I gave up transition lenses when I became a business manager.  I didn't want to send a message to subordinates and clients that I was "hiding behind sunglasses."  (It takes transition lenses 10+ minutes to return to "clear" indoors.)  But now I don't have to worry about the signals my appearance sends.  As if worrying would help.  ;-)  Clip-on sunglasses are a pain when you are in and out of the car all day running errands (or on the Dragon).  The possibility of them getting misplaced, lost, or broken is high.

I'll sill wear my prescription sunglasses ( and a billed cap) in the convertible when the top is down.  But in the sedan, it'll be transition lenses.  I don't have enough experience with the non-glare coatings yet to tell if they help with oncoming headlight glare at night considerably, or only marginally.

No comments:

Post a Comment