Friday, November 29, 2013

Free To A Good Home


Or this post might be called "What are the odds?"

When I sold my house I also sold my snowblower and power washer to the guy who bought it.  The o.e.m. wheels for my Honda Civic Si came with me and turn out to be a fine table for the trickle-charger hooked up to the Mustang.  (There's no workbench in my new garage.)

I'd previously tried to sell the Panasport 15 X 6 wheels from my long gone RX-7 in my club's newsletter. No takers.  A fair number of Gen. I RX-7's remain, but most of them around here have been turned into Improved Touring class race cars.  My wheels are unacceptable for racing.  (That street runs both ways: consult the websites for aftermarket alloys and you'll see disclaimers that racing wheels are unsuitable for road use.)

The guy who bought my house is a bit of a buff: he drives a VW Passat diesel and pays attention to performance cars.  So I sent him an afterthought email: "BTW, those Panasports in the garage will fit a Gen. I Mazda RX-7.  In case you decide to restore an RX-7 and terrorize Chicagoland's offramps. ;-)"

He emailed right back: "My brother has a 1979 RX-7.  Is that a Gen. I?"
"Yes, it is, and those Panasports will fit without interfering with steering lock or modifying the fenders."

I could be "glass half empty" about not having found a buyer for premium rims in excellent condition. Or I could be "glass half full" about having found a home for them: a 34-year-old street-driven RX-7, on which they will look and perform as fine as they did on my car.  Believe I'll go with "glass half full."


There were few things you could do to a Gen. I RX-7 to improve its appearance.  One was to replace the o.e.m. wheels
with Panasport "Minilite look-alikes."  And if you upgraded the stock 13 X 5.5 inch wheels and 70-series tires with
15 X 6 wheels mounting stickier 50-series rubber, the RX-7 became a go-kart.

No comments:

Post a Comment