Friday, April 5, 2013

Ruby Slippers



A word on driving shoes: these are the best I've found.  I've had them for about a year.  They are New Balance "Minimus" running shoes.  They're illegal for racing because they're not fireproof.  But they are great for HSAX or street performance driving.  I recently wore them (all day) to, from, and on the Tail of the Dragon. Any heel-and-toe problem I still have can be set down to clumsiness.  I drove the Dragon in the wet, and their rubber-on-rubber grip on the pedals is fine.  Pedal feel is superb.  Comfort is superb.

I've tired several pairs of allegedly purpose-made leather loafers with soft soles and uppers, and various iterations of Dockers.  The former seem not to be soft enough, and tend not to have a broad-enough sole to heel-and-toe easily.  The latter fit looser than I like, and some have soles that stick out far enough to get tangled in the pedals.  Both can be lived with, but I was still looking...

The Minimus shoes are advertised for non-pavement runners.  They were designed for lightness and maximum "feel" with a very thin sole.  New Balance does not recommend them for routine wear or pavement running: they have no arch support.  (I have worn them all day at a flagging station, where I can sit down between races.  I wouldn't dream of trying to walk a significant distance in them.)  The uppers are breathable nylon mesh.  The eyelets for the laces are cloth (not brass) and I wonder how durable they are.

Red was not a great color choice, and I'd have been glad to buy black, grey or white.  But the alternatives were neon purple or lime.  So I live with the looks of bemusement and amusement they cause on the faces of outdoorsy types (with which I am never confused) and my friends.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Yes, unfortunate colors. I'm having the same problem with running clothes. Neon pink and dayglow orange. But they work, and in your case, who's going to see them unless you step out of the car, which is rare indeed.

Post a Comment