Sunday, January 27, 2013

Off Topic: Jury Duty Undone

I didn't hear a case last week, and was disappointed about that.  But, as the saying goes, "Be careful what you wish for."

My Illinois County has a very efficient system.  Upon Summons, you call an automated phone number or go on a website twice a day, at noon and after the close of business.  You enter your juror number and a code, and get told if you must report to the Court House that afternoon or the next morning.  In my case, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday went by with no need to report.  It's hard to imagine a system less disruptive to your own personal and work life, given that you've been Summoned in the first place.

On Wednesday afternoon, I was told to report on Thursday.  There were about 30 of us in the jury pool room, which is enough for two 12-person juries with some alternates, or 3 or 4 juries for a civil case with 6 jurors.  I was unsurprised to note that, going by appearances, we were a broad mix of age, race, and occupation.  And that "casual Fridays" lasts all week these days.  Even fifteen years ago, you'd have seen a few men and women wearing business suits to jury duty.  Not now.  (I "dressed up" by my own retiree standards: chinos instead of blue jeans and a shirt with a collar.)

The Courthouse employee responsible for us said "There are two trials scheduled for today--stay tuned," and showed us a video about the basics of jury service.  I plowed through a very good book I was reading.  We were released for lunch at 11:30 and told to be back at 1:30.  At 2:15, our minder came in and said "You're done.  Go home."  I wasn't sure I'd heard him accurately, and asked him as I was turning in my jury badge clip if I needed to report on Friday.  "You can come in if you want to, just to enjoy the experience.  Otherwise, you're off the hook for at least two years."  So I gather, just as in my service 15 years ago in another State, both of the cases "settled" with the threat of going to trial being immediate.

No comments:

Post a Comment