Thursday, December 13, 2012

48 Degrees--And Loving It

I drove to St. Charles, IL, today for my monthly lunch with my sports car pal Larry.  It's always a good time: gearhead talk over expensive pasta in a downtown restaurant with curbside views and a "traditional" ambience.  Al fresco, if we like, from May through September.  The ambient temperature was 48 degrees on the drive home today.  I drove the Fox River Valley with the sunroof open, enjoying the views.

Chicago has a reputation for brutal winters.  It is mostly well-deserved on the Loop, where you're close to Lake Michigan and the wind howls between skyscrapers.  The clockwise flow of most weather systems dumps lake-effect snow from Milwaukee around the shoreline to South Bend, Indiana.  But today was delightful.  Minneapolis and Cleveland, the two other major metro areas I know best, have already seen crummy weather.  Earlier this week, the Twin Cities got twelve inches of snow with temperatures in the teens and bone-chilling wind.

Probably, in January and February, my monthly lunch with Larry will be with a drive through sloppy or icy sub-zero weather.  By March, the weather gets tolerable.  By April, it's reasonably nice.  Ten months out of twelve ain't bad.  Last winter, I didn't have my snowblower out at all.  Granted, I have one, and sometimes need it.  But on days like today, I'll take Chicagoland for winter in the upper Midwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment