Saturday, November 3, 2012

What He Does, Not What He Says

Pilote's Autoart 1/18 scale model of the Porsche Carrera RS

My cousin and I visited Vendors' Row at Road Atlanta: manufacturers pushing their latest full-sized toys and technology, car clubs, expensive art and books for your Man Cave, model cars, and apparel.  Chuck Keener had already been to Vendors Row and said "Nothing to see there, people, move on, move on."  He was right.  But I was hell-bent on a souvenir.

Every time I work a club event at home, it seems like I get another cap.  There are more logo-ed baseball caps in my closet than I can wear out.  (The last time I worked, we got $25 Exxon-Mobil gift cards: much more useful.)  So I wasn't looking for something to wear.

Earlier, I posted my own astonishment that, based on nameplates purchased new, I am "a Ford Guy."  A regular reader of this blog thinks I'm a Porsche Guy.  I think of myself as a Ferrari Guy--if I only had the money.  Or an Alfa Guy.  Having owned zero examples of that marque too.

Well, at Vendors' Row, it came down to a choice between a very well-done 1/18 diecast model of a Ferrari 250GT SWB and the model pictured above.  By way of extenuating circumstances, I offer evidence that I already have 1/18 diecast models of the Ferrari GTO and the Jaguar XK-E.  And exquisite 1/43 models of the Ford GT 40 and Alfa GTZ. And a superb 1/12 model of the Birdcage Maserati.  But none of a Porsche 911.  (Should I mention the very good Fly slot-car models of the Porsche 908 and 917?  Probably not.)  I built plastic models of all kinds of cars from age 10 until I got my driver's license.  And yes, at my age, I still (rarely) buy model cars.  Mostly, now, I get them for my grandson and nephew--trying to hook them on The Disease.

So I must admit that Regular Blog Reader is probably right--I'm a Porsche Guy.  And an Alfa, Ferrari, Ford, Honda, Lotus, and Mitsubishi Evo Guy.  I'm still looking for a good large-scale model of the Porsche 917K.  Saw a very good 1/12 model of the 917LH in a hobby shop about a year ago.  But an LH is not a K.  The Autoart model of the 917K isn't good enough.  So on some days, I'm an Autoart Guy; on others, not.

No comments:

Post a Comment