Sunday, October 14, 2012

Getting Antsy

Leaving for Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta in a couple of days.  Watching a race there has been on my Bucket List, and it's hard to imagine a better one than ALMS GT cars running into night time.  Of course I'm taking my camera: with luck, some flaming exhausts to go with the cherry-red brake discs.

Am stopping at the Henry Clay's Ashland in Lexington, KY on the way down.  I can't do 700+ miles a day any more.  And this stop indulges my interest in history.  Abraham Lincoln said Clay was his "beaux ideal of a statesman."  I've read biographies of both, and still don't know why Lincoln singled Clay out in such an important way.  They never met.  Some of it, I get: they had similar views on some public policy issues, and both were coalition-builders operating from a minority base.  But "beaux ideal?"  Maybe the docents at Ashland will give me some insights.

Am spending a day on the Tail of the Dragon on the way home.  That should be long enough to slake even my thirst.  I'll enjoy the ambience of Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort.  Buy a Dragon sweatshirt there or at the Tail of the Dragon Store for my grandson, who loves dragons of the fire-breathing kind.  Maybe shake Killboy's hand and thank him for those wonderful pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment