Wednesday, October 24, 2012

2012 Petit LeMans And Dragon Run, Post 2

The fastest way to get to Clarkesville, GA, where I stayed for the race, from I-75, is to exit at Cleveland, TN, and go cross-lots.  I discovered another delightful section of Highway 129.  The run from Franklin, NC to Fontana Village Resort on NC 28, where I stayed to do the Dragon, is not to be missed.  So, for readers interest in touring, I will combine my notes here--but take them in reverse order.

The Highway 28 run is huge fun, i.m.o., and Franklin is a good place to stop for lunch before retracing your tire tracks.  It is an easy day trip from Fontana or Robbinsville, with time left over.  Parts of it are extremely tight: Dragon like in their challenge.  But remember that there are entering driveways.  You cannot bear down like you can on the Dragon.  There are a few vistas too, so a good way to make this run is at near-normal speeds and pull off to shoot some pictures as the spirit moves you.

The 129 run, from before Blairsville, GA to Cleveland, GA (not to be confused with TN) is more problematic.  It is longer and there is no "destination" at either end unless you want to arrive in Athens, GA (still a ways off) or Cleveland, TN (to link up with I-75 to go to Chattanooga or Atlanta).  East-and-southbound, the run begins at Ocee, TN on US 64/74/TN 70 to link up with US 129 before Blairsville, GA.  This segment is mostly two-lane with three lanes for uphill passing, very scenic, and fast by Dragon/NC 28 standards.  The US 129/19 segment is two-lane and twisty, much like NC 28 as described above, but with fewer entering driveways and side roads.  Each segment is about 30 miles long.  East and south of Cleveland, GA, the roads flatten and straighten out, no matter which ones you take.

Tomorrow, I will finally get down to business with a Petit LeMans post.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

NC28? Hmmmmmm. Isn't there an adventure on Telico Road Connected to that stretch???

Pilote Ancien said...

Welcome, Wannabe Hotshoe! Somehow I think I know you...your thumbnail picture suggests an aging Country Singer, however.

Memory fails about Tellico Road. My Garmin doesn't seem to acquire satellites, so I have no idea where that might be.

Post a Comment