Tuesday, October 23, 2012

2012 Petit LeMans And Dragon Run, Odds & Ends, Post 1

The good stuff will follow later.  This post just collects some odds and ends of limited interest to anyone who doesn't know Pilote personally.

Tuesday, October 16, was comedy of errors day.  It must also have been Special Wide Load Permit Day in Illinois and Indiana.  I saw at least six of them.  The worst was so wide and high that oncoming traffic on the two-lanes we were on was stopped by the lead pickup truck.  We were accompanied by a cherry picker truck which would rush ahead when necessary, park on the road side, elevate the bucket, from which the operator would use a hook on a pole to raise the lower across-road cables.

We were met at the Indiana line by three IHP cars, one of which led and two of which followed.  I say we because I was the first "civilian" in line behind the low-boy trailer.  It was interesting to see how various obstacles and issues were negotiated, but I'd rather have saved the hour this chance encounter cost me.  When I got gas at the intersection of IN 10 and I-65, the enterprise was still stopped by the side of IN 10 when I jumped on the Interstate.  So I have no idea where they were going.  A good guess is the steel plants in Crown Point.

"Ashland," the home of Henry Clay, assured me they would be open by the time I stopped in Lexington KY for the day.  But I was greeted by sheets of paper taped to the doors saying "Closed For Repairs."  No staff was present in the remote office.  But a tall step ladder was visible through the main doors of the home.  Go figure.  I will try again the next time I stop in Lexington overnight; I was tired anyway and so not greatly disappointed.

My server at the Texas Roadhouse asked me how I liked Lexington.  I told her what I'd seen was beautiful (KY 421 is a boulevard with trees in the middle) and asked how she liked it.
"OK, I guess.  I'm in school here and can't wait to get back to Harlan (KY).  I miss my family."
"That's coal country.  Hard times.  What will you do for work?"
(Shrugging) "I'll be degreed in Special Education, but I'll take what I can get, in my field or out, full or part time.  Family comes first, then the job."

This was a young woman who would not do well in a big city like Chicago, probably knows it, and wouldn't even consider it.  My first impression of Lexington was "lovely, right-sized, small southern city: easy to get around in, friendly people."  Too big for her.  Mostly, I must say, I felt sorry for my server: went to college in the Big City, went home.  A life of missed opportunities and experiences, I fear.

My cousin noticed the fire extinguisher I carry in the trunk of my car (both of my cars).  He made an interesting observation I'd not heard before.  "If you can't get it out in 2 minutes, just stand back.  Let it burn to the ground and collect the insurance.  You'll never get the smell out, even if you get the fire out."  Plus, now that I think about it, the electrics and electronics will never work 100% right again.  If your car is rare and insured to "agreed value," start over with a full restoration.  If not, collect the check and walk away.

After establishing a baseline, I have not checked the gas mileage of my Honda Civic Si since it was new.  I know what to expect: 20 m.p.g. city, 30 highway, day-in, day-out.  But I thought this road trip would be interesting, and checked it again just for fun.  These are the results for the round-trip:

Tank 1: 31.8: held up by the above-mentioned Special Permit experience
Tank 2: 30.0: all Interstate in Indiana and Kentucky
Tank 3: 30.0: Interstate and 4-lane in KY, TN, and GA, including some to and from Road Atlanta
Tank 4: 26.9: some 4-lane, some mountain twisties, and four Tail of the Dragon passes
Tank 5: 22.0: eight Dragon passes, mostly mountain driving including some I-75
Tank 6: 30.0: Interstates from Jellico TN to Lebanon IN (north of Indianapolis)

The round-trip was 1931 miles.  Average: 28.5 m.p.g.  I can certainly live with this kind of mileage from a car as entertaining as a Civic Si.  It was "rode hard and put away wet."  Never missed a beat, the odometer clocked 33,000 miles on this trip, and everything on this car down to the smallest electronic feature still works flawlessly.  Honda For Life: when I'm in my dotage, and too old to drive a car like the Si, I'll just buy another Civic.

Finally, if you can manage better than a 60 m.p.h. average on "day's travel" runs, you're a better driver than I.  Whether it's the (non Dragon) twisties that were one goal of this trip or the endless left-lane-bandits encountered in four States, I had to run way above "reasonable and prudent" to make up for them.  Not to mention what l.e.o.'s will waive.

2 comments:

Watchtower said...

Good to see that you made it back safe.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures along with a descriptive post on the Petit LeMans, and Deals Gap.

Pilote Ancien said...

Got to drive my cousin's '66 Shelby GT 350--THAT will merit some pix and a post!!!

Post a Comment