Wednesday, August 15, 2012

To Vid Or Not To Vid (The Dragon)

Watchtower asked me if I planned to video my next Dragon run.  The idea had occurred to me too, once I realized I would be returning to the Dragon.  Once or twice a year, I hope.  But I didn't pursue it even far enough to price a GoPro ($300) until asked about it.

It's easy to understand why club racers vid.  And wrap a piece of bright tape around Top Dead Center of the steering wheel.  The field of view is set up to show corner-entry and exit and steering angle.  It's a self-improvement aid.  My club's driving instructors ask newbies "If you had $1000 to spend, would you buy power-adders or rent track time?"  The correct  answer is track time.  Get smooth and consistent and, hopefully, fast.  Then video your drives to see where you can eliminate small mistakes and document how set-up changes effect handling and lap times.

My cars aren't adjustable, and I'm not that good.  Or consistent.  At my club's most recent conga line, I messed up corner-entries and lines.  I missed apexes, sometimes on the same corner on consecutive laps.  You could say that I was consistently inconsistent.  We all know, in our minds, how to execute a corner.  If we've messed it up, we know in our minds how to fix our mistakes.  The problem comes in doing it.  At least for me.  So the idea of documenting my mistakes on the Dragon and posting them on the internet for all to see is not a thrill.

Then there's the "look at me!" thing.  When I watch in-car Dragon videos on YouTube, self-absorbtion comes to mind.  There must be hundreds, all more or less the same.  And, as Killboy teases in his "Tips For Riders" on his website, "You do know you're not the fastest one out there, don't you?  (No, it's not me.)   ;-)"  Unless it's shot from a particularly interesting car, do we need another one?  If I want to see the Dragon Done Right, I re-watch Killboy's "Chasing Jay/Multistrada" video.  For art appreciation, there's Killboy's "Rain Run" or "S-2000 Compilation."  I will watch "Chasing Jay" several times before my next visit.  And a northbound pass too, if I can find a good one.  Watching myself, going slower and making more mistakes, seems like an exercise in vanity.

Then there's the aesthetics of the thing.  The Dragon is a vacation for me.  It's intense, but fun.  I like to make a pass (or two or three) and then stop to enjoy the Overlook or the DGMR.  Then make another pass or two.  Repetition imprints your mind--the corners begin to distinguish themselves--and it helps to stop and let a pass sink in.  I like to contemplate the pass and/or chat with fellow slayers.  Worrying about camera placement, field of view, digital memory, etc., detracts from concentration, learning, and the overall experience.

So it seems to me.  But then I don't have an iPad.  I recently, happily, kept my Gen 1 cell phone, after having the capabilities of a Gen 4 smart phone carefully explained.  When my VHS camcorder died, I didn't replace it with digital video.  But I recently upgraded my point-and-shoot digital still camera.  So I have admitted Luddite tendencies.  Anyway, I doubt I'll be taking one on my next Dragon run.

On the other hand, Watchtower might video his next run.  He said he'd watch my video because he knows me a bit.  I'd watch his, for the same reason.  So maybe I should ease up on the narcissism critique.  Or vid my run with my still camera until the card is full.  Three minutes?  Would masking tape hold it steady?

6 comments:

Watchtower said...

That's it in a nutshell for me, I would enjoy watching footage (not just of the Dragon, but friend's local hot spots too) of people that I knew, i.e. PA, 2wheelsonly, RC51 Mark, Yetti, etc, but as far as Anons, not so much.

Pilote Ancien said...

Hey, WT, noticed your new Thumbnail--great pic. Is that an IL vanity plate that I spy? You a flatlander too?

Watchtower said...

Yes, I was meaning to tell you that awhile back when you mentioned that you thought I might be from the East coast.
The picture however was taken in Western Kentucky on a road trip.

If I could figure out how to send a message with that Google friend connect, I would tell you where in Illinois that I reside (I like to keep a little bit of anonymity).

Pilote Ancien said...

Amen on the anonymity. I we could use g-mail through e-blogger if you have it, except I forgot my account password. If it comes to that, I can set up a new g-mail account. But if we want to (say) do the Dragon at the same time, we could set up the dates through this blog.

BTW, a reminder that you are welcome to post. So are the other Facebook Refugees like RC 51 Mark, 2WO, etc. I can set you up as an authorized poster. It's no like I'm the kind of guy who runs out of things to say (ahem...), but more voices are better. And our interests seem similar (touring, R&T, S-197's, etc. etc. etc.). I think the blog could use a biker voice.

Watchtower said...

I do have a g-mail account: k.watchtower@gmail.com

Believe it or not I was thinking of going to Deals Gap in Oct also, should be nice with the trees turning colors.
I'm not sure when though, I'm taking my wife and daughter to AZ and UT to see the Grand Canyon (my daughter, who'll be 13 yrs old by then has yet to see it) and do some mountain biking out there in Oct but will be back by the 9th.



Pilote Ancien said...

Got it! In my contacts; you'll have mine via email with October info.

Post a Comment