Sunday, August 19, 2012

Came For the Reputation, Jumped In The Tank

It's hard for me to write about my newest car without sounding like I'm in the tank for it.  Which I am.

What would have been my '94 Chrysler New Yorker's 4th a/c evaporator proved to be instead my last straw.  I donated it to charity.  (It ran fine and everything worked, otherwise.)  The first evaporator failure was on Chrysler's dime: one of those under-the-counter recalls.  ("We won't publish this, but if an owner shows up disgusted, comp him.")  The next 2 were on my dime.  Enough, already.  This was in 2009.

My bang-for-the-buck spreadsheet was still in the drawer.  If a fast but inexpensive and useful daily driver was the goal, the Honda Civic Si won in a trot.  I needed 4 doors and a real trunk.  I had been impressed with my son's Acura Integra (stolen) and the CR-V he replaced it with.  The Si came only one way: fully-equipped.  As with my RX-7,  26 years before, the only choice was color.  And I again opted for an unusual shade to avoid meeting myself on the road.  Honda calls it "Red Line Orange."  Isn't that an oxymoron?  Before I got a radar detector, l.e.o.'s called it just-plain-orange.  I call it bronze.

Natural habitat.  

The drive home from delivery on the Interstate was a revelation: 80, planted; 90, planted; 100, planted.
So I took it to the twisties.  It was better than I was.  There was still room in the trunk after a grocery run.  Or packing for a week's vacation.  My 80-something friends could get in and out of the back seat and be comfortable on a day trip.  The gas milage is unimpressive: 30 on Interstates, 20 around town.  But I drive it hard most of the time.  This is because the car is an unmixed joy, on a 600-mile Interstate run or the Dragon.  It's always right there with me: synched up.  Front-drivers understeer: the fun way around is to "back the corner up," turn-in with some reserve, then just pile in the power and steering angle.  "That was fun--any more corners around here?"

No complaints about the cockpit and controls.  The engine and 6-speed tranny are a joy to use and mate-up perfectly.  The steering feel is great.  So is brake feel: I can get into and out of the ABS at will.  I believe the o.e.m. Michelins have a lot to do with this.  The drive-by-wire throttle lags when I lift for shifts, but I've learned to finesse that.  The controls for the wipers, washers, h.v.a.c., and audio are light but positive.  The cruise-control's "coast/resume" feature is the best I've used.

I thought the dual-level instrument panel would annoy me; actually I prefer it.  Digital speedo, fuel level, and temp above.  Tach and idiot lights down below.  You can manage the h.v.a.c. and audio controls without taking your eyes off the road for long.  The wipers have a "one swipe" feature which turns out to be surprisingly useful.  My pal Larry found that the A-pillar obstructed his vision on the Dragon.  I didn't notice it, but then I drive the car every day.

 Which brings me to the iVTEC: superb.  The car has plenty of scoot at lower revs because it is short-geared.  You don't have to get into the VTEC.  If you do, it comes in at about 5500 and runs right up to the 8000 r.p.m. red line, still pulling.  Engine performance for a 2-liter is awesome.  All gearing is low: on the Interstate at 80 m.p.h., the engine turns 3500 r.p.m.  If you're not rev-happy, this is not the car for you.  But it cruises quietly.

Mine has clocked 30,000 miles with no problems.  The tires are near replacement, but for me that kind of wear is the cost of entertainment.  One of the o.e.m. wheels has developed a slow leak (5 lbs. over 2 weeks), and that's a problem.  But I was thinking about upgrading the rims when I replaced the tires anyway.  The car is so good that 25% lighter wheels will make it better.

I read somewhere that my Gen 8 Si is 40% more stiffly sprung than the standard Civic.  Some would find the ride choppy.  But my octogenarian friends seem not to mind, and, for aggressive road use, the suspension is perfect.  I read elsewhere that the Gen 9 Si softened the suspension (lots more roll) and the new engine "gives back" about 1000 revs and on-the-cams sharpness to gain 0.4 liters.  Maybe this can be understood as a move toward broader market appeal, but it changes the feel of the car in ways I don't like.

Mine's a keeper.  The only thing that gets me to thinking is the new Ford Focus ST: European spec. chassis and 250 h.p.  I suspect the MazdaSpeed 3 was Ford's target car, and either of them would wax my Si.  But I don't need or want a new car.  This one gives me the most smiles per mile I've had.

2 comments:

Watchtower said...

In 1994 I bought my wife a new Accord.
She drove it until 2005, it had over 240,000 miles on it and I changed the plugs one time and replaced a cracked exhaust manifold at 225,000 miles.

That's it.

No water pump, no alternator, no nothing except for the exhaust manifold (and changing the oil of course)

In 05 I sold that Accord (I still see it around occasionally) and bought her a new Accord, it has 130,000 on it as of now and I plan on giving it to my daughter in 3 years.

Outstanding automobiles imo.

Pilote Ancien said...

Wow! Hope mine's that bulletproof. Have a hunch the clutch master and slave won't last that long. Even when I skip gears (which I do a lot around town/in traffic), the clutch gets plenty of use cycles.

Post a Comment